Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tiinned copper wire and screwless connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winsu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a connector which is screwless. It specifies stripping length of wires to be connected but, it doesn't specify if the wires must be tinned or not ( I mean just the tip). From my point of view if the connector is screwless a user would have to apply a bit of pressure to insert inside the wire, so tinning the wire will help to process. Does it make sense?. There are other variables that I should consider. The connector is inside of a sealed case, so environment is not an issue ( I have read that environment conditions can affect more negative to tinned wire than not tinned....not sure if i can believe this).

Thanks

Your description of the connector is vague, so it's difficult to judge. In general, solderless connections rely on friction and mechanical pressure to maintain electrical contact. If you tin the wire tip, it adds a layer of metal that's softer than copper and has reduced springiness. It gives more easily to the pressure and does not press back hard enough to maintain a good electrical contact. In short, it's better not to tin the wire.

Hello Winsu,

it's better not to tin the wire

Sorry, but I beg to differ.

I tin ALL my wires regardless. They give rigidity, as well make it so much easier for insertion.
It also protects the copper from corrosion, though you did mention environment is not an issue.
Contact is just so much better.
Regards,
Relayer

Hi,

I tin ALL my wires regardless.
I almost never tin wires.

And I've never had any problems. Doing a lot of industrial equippment from very low currents and voltage to very high currents and voltage. Chemical industry with lots of chemicals in the air. For decades now.

But I know that automotive wires often are tinned.

Klaus

It's a well established fact that crimped and screwed-on connections involving soft metal such as solder and aluminium tend to loosen after some time. It can be caused by thermal cycling alone even when there's no vibration. A spring-loaded connector will do better with such metals, but the OP has not provided details about the type of connector he's using.

Hi,

I agree with the problem of tinned wires and "screwed" connectors.

The OP talks about screwless connectors, thus I assume it's some kind of spring clamp.

--> In case of doubt I'd contact the connector manufacturer.

Klaus

Hi,

Sometimes tinned cable tips don't hold too well from the outset in spring-loaded connectors, the rounder the worse it might be, sometimes hammering them a bit flatter improves that; tinned cables that are flexed may snap at the junction between tinned/not-tinned sooner or later or just much sooner - that might be solved with heatshrink covering half sheath/half tinned cable. You could use ferrule terminals instead of solder, much nicer all round. It's easier to place tinned in any type of connector unlike untinned where stray strands may catch/not go in and in the end it feels like threading a needle.

That looks like a reputable brand so you'd expect reliable connector, I wouldn't bother tinning it myself, just ferrules if it's something that needs to look a bit polished.

Reactions: Winsu

Winsu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back