Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fluke 87 continually reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankhseeker

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a fluke 87 that I have had for years. It has been flawless until a few years ago when the input jack assy broke and the led display started losing digits. It has been in storage for at least 5 years. I found an input jack assy and installed it. The display was repaired with the foam conductors as well. The problem I have now is that when I turn it on ANY function, it shows all the digits/segments on the display, goes through some scaling and then turns off and then back on again only to do the same thing again. I have checked the two fuses as well as the resistor fuse (1k 2W thermal fuse). I really like this meter. Do any of you have any ideas to help me get it going again? Thank you in advance.

ankhseeker

It sounds as though a pin, either the Reset or Power-On Self-test (POST), is now getting a strange signal since the repairs.

Look for:

* fractures in solder at pins of the main IC. A disconnected pin can be unpredictably affected by ambient mains hum, or static charges. A pin which is held continually positive or negative may prevent the meter from operating.

* Selector dial making faulty connect (or disconnect) to circular traces beneath it. May be due to dirt, fluid, misalignment, missing springs or ball bearings.

* Intermittent battery contacts or wiring.

Try connecting the red and black leads together as you switch the meter on. Or a stable voltage source as you switch it on. Or stable resistor as you switch to the ohm ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back