Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Merge issue Advanced Design System (empty GDS file when exporting after merging )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrina

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all!
I'm wondering what does ''Merge'' the structure mean and why we need to merge our design and when?
In some cases, I make my design flatten merged then I exported GDS file, I got an empty gds file? Why information are lost when exporting?

In some cases, I make my design flatten merged then I exported GDS file, I got an empty gds file? Why information are lost when exporting?

This is not normal. You must have made a mistake. Show in more detail what you did.

Reactions: Cyrina

Cyrina

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
This is not normal. You must have made a mistake. Show in more detail what you did.

I just selected all the structure then i choose Edit>component> Flatten then Edit>Merge
then when i exported GDS file there are no geometric information

As said: this is not the normal behaviour.
It is difficult to help you without going to your specific case. Upload your workspace and/or show screenshots.

Reactions: Cyrina

Cyrina

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
As said: this is not the normal behaviour.
It is difficult to help you without going to your specific case. Upload your workspace and/or show screenshots.

i worked on the LTCC Balun (I found on ADS examples)
11.png
then i exported to GDS, the export is done successfully bu this message appears
22.PNG
Then, i got a GDS file when i convert it to GDT file it doesnt contain any geometric info
33.PNG

then i exported to GDS, the export is done successfully bu this message appears

The export is NOT successful. The message says that the AEL code (artwork macro function) for drawing is missing. It seems that this is "coded" layout, not drawn, and you see some cached layout on screen. If the drawing code isn't there, exploding that layout fails, and your layout is empty.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how you broke this, but with the sample LTCC example in my ADS2016 installation, it works perfectly fine: flatten > merge > GDSII and the resulting layout is fine.

flatten_merge.PNG

Last edited:

The export is NOT successful. The message says that the AEL code (artwork macro function) for drawing is missing. It seems that this is "coded" layout, not drawn, and you see some cached layout on screen. If the drawing code isn't there, exploding that layout fails, and your layout is empty.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how you broke this, but with the sample LTCC example in my ADS2016 installation, it works perfectly fine: flatten > merge > GDSII and the resulting layout is fine.

View attachment 144544

I redo the same steps 3 times: Select the structure> Flatten>Merge then export to GDSII file always the same problem. I don't know where is the problem! can you send me the workspace of the LTCC Balun to test it maybe i changed something on LAyout

can you send me the workspace of the LTCC Balun to test it maybe i changed something on LAyout

You can get it from the ADS main window: File > Open > Example ... and then look in the FEM directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back