+ Post New Thread
    Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Does these values give any sense for the speed of system in Vivado timing summary

Hello everyone

I have built a system in tow different approach and implement both on FPGA using Vivado Design Suite using the same parameters

and as expected, I got different timing summary and utilization placed reports

my question and what I am looking for for this work is

do these values give any indication or sense for which method or approach is faster

1. WNS (Worst Negative Slack)
    2. Setup Worst Slack
    3. Hold Worst Slack

Or is there any other value in the report that decides which system is faster in my case

•   Alt12th February 2018, 22:35

advertising

Advanced Member level 4

Helped
    220 / 220
    Level

Re: Does these values give any sense for the speed of system in Vivado timing summary

Quote Originally Posted by Serwan Bamerni View Post
    Hello everyone

I have built a system in tow different approach and implement both on FPGA using Vivado Design Suite using the same parameters

do these values give any indication or sense for which method or approach is faster

2. Setup Worst Slack
    3. Hold Worst Slack

Or is there any other value in the report that decides which system is faster in my case
    This is digital circuits 101. Please google these concepts.
    Really, I am not Sam.

•   Alt13th February 2018, 02:43

advertising

Advanced Member level 3

Helped
    247 / 247
    Level

Re: Does these values give any sense for the speed of system in Vivado timing summary

In this context, the values only make sense if the design does not meet timing.

You should set timing constraints and lower them to see which fails first. You might need to ensure the design is realistic -- that it doesn't fail timing because it uses IO resources that don't exist in a real design.

The reason for this is because the tools may choose to optimize area/power/synthesis-time if timing is already met.

•   Alt13th February 2018, 04:21

advertising

Full Member level 1

Helped
    12 / 12
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serwan Bamerni View Post
    Hello everyone

2. Setup Worst Slack
    3. Hold Worst Slack

After feeding the timing constraints for both the cases, you can also compare the minimum period (or maximum frequency) of both the designs.

--[[ ]]--