Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR2110 full bridge problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadi.Dastour

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I make a H bridge circuit with IR2110 driver. It works with 24 Volt but when I connect it to 310 Volt (that makes with 220 Volt AC) it does not work. in fact high and low side mosfets gate source voltage set to 0.026 Volt and when I change duty cycle it(gate source voltage) does not change. my schematic attached here.
PWM Frequency = 20KHz
Mosfet = IRFP460A
Please Help me.
Thank you

Attachments

• H Bridge.jpg
    H Bridge.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 223

my logic level is 12V.
PWM 0 - 12 V and 20 KHz.

Hi,

How did you generate the 310V supply? How are the GND connections?

MUR460 is in my eyes not a good choice for the bootstrap circuit. I'd use a smaller one.

Please post a photo of your wiring.
Show a scope picture of Hin. Lin, Lo.

Klaus

thanks for your reply.
I generate 310 Volt with diode bridge and 250 uF cap from 220 V AC.(Schematic attached here)
Ground of IR2110 and H bridge connected together and they connected to the main GND that shown in schematic.(pwm generator isolated from IR2110)
For Bootstrap diode, Murs160 is a good choice?

Attachments

• 310V Generator.png
    310V Generator.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 153

Excuse me I don't have scope.
but when Vrail conected to 310 V Vgs of mosfets are 0.026V (I measured it with multimeter).

Hi,

You need very short wiring between IR2110 and Mosfets. Millimeters. Maybe 20 , but no more than 50mm.
It's urgent to be placed on the same PCB.
Usually you need a solid GND plane. GND wires are not good. Use a copper foil, if possible.

The problem is that you have to switch high voltage in short time...every small piece of stray inductance may cause your circuit to fail.

There are some loops to be wired/routed very careful:
* low side Mosfet source - IR2110 VCom - IR2110 Lo - low side Mosfet gate.
* high side Mosfet source - IR2110 VS - IR2110 Ho - high side Mosfet gate.

Klaus

It means if I make it on a PCB it works, correct?
why is it work when I connect it to 24 Volt? because before mosfet signals(signals from IR2110 to mosfets) don't change.
when I change Vrail in fact signals after mosfets change not before mosfets.
thanks

Sadly - your present layout is only going to cause you problems, even at 20kHz, the long wires to the upper source will be flapping between 0/315VDC at 20kHz and radiating RFI into your control ...

thank you.
OK. I will fix it.
I am going to say its result.

Hi
I have a problem in H bridge.
when I connect a resistor series with a inductor (390 Ohm + 100 uH) to Load of H bridge it is work very well (Their signals in Fig 1)
but when I connect a Motor (2 Ohm) to Load of H bridge it is not work.(Their signals in Fig 2).
I introduce signals in Fig 3.
if any one know what is my mistake please tell me.
Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Hi
I make PCB of my circuit.
it works very well but I have a problem that I explained it in my last post.
thank you

Attachments

• Fig1.png
    Fig1.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Fig2.png
    Fig2.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Fig3.jpg
    Fig3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 156

Hi,

In post#4 (5 month ago) I asked:
Show a scope picture of Hin. Lin, Lo.
Now there are some scope pictures...Not the requested signals.
So we have to guess: Do you PWM both signals, high-side and low-side?
This won't work because the bootstrap capacitor maybe can't charge fully.

Klaus

Thanks for your answer.
top transistor right: gate source voltage in Fig 1
top transistor left is off.
bottom transistor right: gate source voltage in Fig 2 (for charging bootstrap cap)
bottom transistor left: gate source voltage in Fig 3
top transistor right and bottom transistor left have same signal and bottom transistor right has almost inverted signal.
Hadi Dastour

Attachments

• Fig 1.png
    Fig 1.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Fig 2.png
    Fig 2.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Fig 3.png
    Fig 3.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 125

You should remove the 1k Gate-Source resistors., they are draining the Gate (and the Bootstrap capacitors).
Then check for Vb-Vs and Vcc-LO voltage stability (there is an UV threshold builtin). If the voltages go below ~10V, increase bootstrap caps

Hi,

No idea what Fig2 and what Fig3 is.
No idea how the signals are related to each other (time).

--> I'd not PWM the the left low side, let it continously ON. Just PWM the right side.
And replace the gate-source resistors with 10k.

Klaus

top transistor right and bottom transistor left have same signal and bottom transistor right has almost inverted signal.
That's bad, as there will be a risk for high shootthrough :!:
You should use one PWM for one side, HI input direct PWM, LO input via INV. Another PWM for the other side
Operation should be (as Klaus stated) to keep on one side static low, and the other toggling (to charge bootstrap cap)

And I recommend to completely remove the GateSource resistors.

Thank you.
I understand. I should let left low side continuously ON and PWM just for right high side and right low side for charging bootstrap cap.
I do it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you a lot.
it is working very well.:clap::clap::clap:

Hello Hadi, as you go up in volts, from 24, the dv/dt on your wiring goes up and this radiates interference that gets into the control and really upsets it - this is one reason power electronics has tight power loops, good close de-coupling (caps on the power bus) and very short wiring for the most part.

when you changed your load to a lower value - you were then switching off higher currents, with the wiring inductance - this creates a high dv/dt spike that again upsets the control - snubbers across the mosfets/igbt's can help here, remember igbt's can turn on very fast if the Rgate is too low - on a 310VDC bus this will again give very high dv/dt at turn on - causing issues...

Hi
Thank you for your tips.
I tried to observe these tips in my design. until now it is working with 24V very well.
I should Test it with 310V.
I hope there will be no problem.
Hadi Dastour

Status
Not open for further replies.