Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to run a few usb devices over fiber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theateist

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have the following requirement. It might be stupid, but it's a requirement. I have to connect 2 mice and one printer over fiber. The design that I thought it the following
UW2.png

1 - Will it work or I need to use these or these usb converters instead?
2 - Even if this will work I need some how to split out the connections on the server side so I'll know which cables belong to what group of devices (mice or printer).

If you think it's imposible to implement the way I show in the image, can you pelase suggest what should I do?

Last edited:

You have compiled your scheme in part with devices that don't work in this role, particular the ethernet host adapters marked with X. You can google for "USB over ethernet" to learn about devices that can serve the intended purpose.

No. Firstly, "USB over RJ45 extender" doesn't mean USB over ethernet. Secondly a print server doesn't connect HID devices like mice or keyboards.

The print server solution is the right track, though. There are adapters that provide a remote USB host interface through an ethernet tunnel for other devices, or virtually any usual USB device.

The access on the PC side is through a virtual USB driver, not specifically an USB port. Respectively any ethernet interface interface can do.

No. Firstly, "USB over RJ45 extender" doesn't mean USB over ethernet. Secondly a print server doesn't connect HID devices like mice or keyboards.

The print server solution is the right track, though. There are adapters that provide a remote USB host interface through an ethernet tunnel for other devices, or virtually any usual USB device.

The access on the PC side is through a virtual USB driver, not specifically an USB port. Respectively any ethernet interface interface can do.

I'm a little bit confused. I need to run it over fiber and not through ethernet tunnel. Can you please explain please?

Why usb to rj45 doesn't work over fiber?

It might be a stupid question, but I want to understand.
Why when I connect a mouse as shown in blue, the mouse works, but when I connect it as shown in green it doesn't work?
In the blue scheme a mouse is connected to usb-to-rj45 converter, which in turn is connected to a rj45-to-usb via cat5 cable and then goes to the server.
In the green scheme, it the same as in blue, but the usb-to-rj45 converters connected with a fiber between them instead of cat5.

usb-fiber.png

As I understand it, in the blue scheme, the usb-to-rj45 just "remaps" the wires from usb connector to rj45 connector and then back from rj45 to usb. That's why it works.
in the green scheme it should also work since the ethernet-to-fiber media converter also just "remaps" the signal from cat5 cable to light.

What am I missing here?

I suspect the USB-to-rj45 converter just has some cat5 line driver circuits in them to connect between the USB connector and the RJ45 jack. As it doesn't generate Ethernet packets the Ethernet to Fiber converters don't do squat with the signals from the mouse/computer and throw away the "noise".

You need to convert the signals using some kind of fiber optic transmitter and receiver with additional circuitry to translate the USB signals into whatever format the fiber optic TX/RX needs. I'm not sure anything like that exists on the market (at least a quick search didn't show anything).

As it doesn't generate Ethernet packets the Ethernet to Fiber converters don't do squat with the signals from the mouse/computer and throw away the "noise".

Thank you for your input. I need to verify this assumption. Can I ask this question in other forum? Maybe someone used this specific ethernet-to-fiber converter and knows the reason.

in the green scheme it should also work since the ethernet-to-fiber media converter also just "remaps" the signal from cat5 cable to light.
No. The ethernet-to-fiber converter remaps ethernet packets, not "signals". Gigabit ethernet e.g. transmits data over 4 parallel 250 Mbps pairs, each of it used bidirectionally with respective circuits. The RJ45 USB extenders are connecting the cable pairs in a different way.

There are also special designed "USB over fiber" extenders on the market, without intermediate RJ45 cables. You can either chose a product of this line or refer to the previously suggested USB over ethernet method.

You need to look at the involved signals and protocols, not just the connectors and media.

Status
Not open for further replies.