Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micro-sd or SD card to a USB adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

abestado

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Micro-sd or sd card to USB adapter

Hello guys,

Firstly, I'll try to explain my idea as simply as possible through the use of short sentences. This is because my English is not good.

Well,

I have a portable scanner, VuPoint brand. It works only if a micro-sd card is inserted into the interface.

There are those memory card readers that are connected to the computer through the USB interface, I thought of producing something that would reverse the process.

I also have a memory card reader and writer. It is connected to the computer through the USB interface. I disassembled it to know the manufacturer of the integrated circuit. Then I sent the manufacturer an e-mail to know how it works (datasheet) and nobody answered me.

I already saw on the internet an adapter that has 2 terminals (the micro sd card to SD card). However, it would be better if it was directly connected (micro sd card to USB connector)

So please,

Could someone help me to make an adapter like that? How can I proceed?

Many Thanks

Re: Micro-sd or sd card to USB adapter

The idea doesn't work. The scanner as well as the USB card reader are expecting a real SD memory card connected to it.

Excuse me if my asking to seem idiot for many members here, but: would it be only the reverse working in relation to USB card reader/writer device?

So to summarize your unclear description...

You want to convert your Vupoint scanner to a USB device instead of a stand alone portable SD card based device using a combination of the following:
Vupoint scanner -> SD(write)-to-SD(read) adaptor (what you want) -> USB card reader.

AFAIK, I don't believe anyone has created an SD card to SD card interface device, that allows connecting a device that uses an SD card to write through to another device that reads an SD card and puts the information on USB. This would be a niche product that very few would ever need or want.

It would actually be easier to remove the SD card reader of the Vupoint completely and then design an interface board (FPGA and USB PHY) to accept the SD card commands and convert that to USB, but I suspect that is far beyond your capabilities. This project would require experience in board design, FPGA design, and PC driver design.

I'd say just use the product as intended or buy a USB scanner.

ads-ee,

It would be something looked like I designed below:

**broken link removed**​

Obviously, the box with the integrated circuit inside has to be made because there isn't to sell in the market.

But, the right design has to sell in the market, I say: micro-sd card -> SDHC card slot on board (it's an adapter).

I'm thinking about it because it has the device that does exactly the reverse process.

Well, I hope it has become easier to understand now.

Attachments

• portable scanner.jpg
    portable scanner.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:

I have sitting in front of me a Targus USB-SD (SD,
SDHC, MMC) Card Reader/Writer adaptor that I got
at Wal-Mart for very little $. Useful for older laptops
that lack a SD slot.

The OP wants a SD card emulator rather than a reader. The mentioned WiFi-sdcard option can be a solution, I wonder if some hosts power down the SD card when not accessing it, this would thwart the idea.

Hi guys,

The image is present, now. My post was approved by the analyzer.

FvM,

What's OP? I don't know if I understood correctly, but I don't think it would be an emulator.

There are those reading and writting adapter devices that have slots to memory card input and, on the other end, a USB connection to be connected to the computer, aren't there?

I am thinking of a cable that passes through a circuit capable of converting data from the memory card to be transported to the computer via the USB input.

The member ads-ee suggested to buy a USB scanner, but it isn't the same. The way of using it is different without even considering portability.

Well, If this was embarrassing you guys can ask me. I used Google Translator system.

OP is "original poster", the one that started the thread, that's you.

The picture in post #5 either shows a SD card emulator, or a SD card with a mux switch and a USB card reader. The card can be accessed alternatively by the device it's plugged in and the host computer. As far as I'm aware of, a similar product isn't available on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.