+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Cost Effective Banana Jack Solution

I am trying to come up with a low cost - and no tooling solution to adding a vertical banana jack to my PCB. No tooling because I'm starting with a small batch. But I hope to ramp up; so, it should be scalable too. I might find a dedicated connector that works but that would greatly constrain the height of my enclosure and if the connector is later not available I would be screwed.

Any solutions need to be round with 4mm+0.15/-0.05 ID and <=6mm OD. The OD limit allows the guard of a "safety" plug to go over it. The ID tolerances are a rough estimate.

The ideal solution would be a nickel plated, round brass spacer attached with a thread rolling screw. But I haven't found any off-the-shelf solutions with the correct inner diameter. How much would a custom spacer cost? ...with what minimum quantity?

Another solution might be a brass tube cut to length. These tubes seem to be readily available in the correct dimensions. But is bare brass a good choice? What about corrosion? Is nickel plating a viable option for my low budget, low quantity needs?

Any relevant thoughts on this would be appreciated!

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    1021 / 1021
    Level

Re: Cost Effective Banana Jack Solution

Not sure what you mean by "no tooling". Drilling a hole is tooling. You could just put a plated through hole the right size for a banana plug in the PCB. Depending on your chassis material, and physical dimensions, you might have to put some kind of backing plate some distance behind the PCB to limit the plug insertion depth.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator

Helped
    2571 / 2571
    Level

I'm pretty sure I saw one of my digital meters having banana jacks attached directly to the board. Made from metal tubing, inexpensive, with bendable tabs at one end. The assembler pushes the tabs through slots in the board, then bends them. The jack locks itself to the board, ready to solder. The plastic enclosure is molded to surround the tube, so it cannot be pushed or pulled, or bent at an angle. Thus the PCB is not stressed.

It should be easy to fabricate from a section of collapsible antenna.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 3
    Helped
    83 / 83
    Level

Try google images.

Then you get to pick one and find it :)
    Please do not PM me questions that are better asked in the PCB forum :)

Newbie level 3
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Go to any electronics distributor like DigiKey, Allied Elec, McMaster-Carr, Newark Elec. They all will have panel mount banana jacks with solder terminals for wire connectins. If you want the banana jack to connect with the PCB then I' sure they are available in a solder style or other design that has intimate contact with plated-through holes on the PCB.
    Tunalover
    A mechanical guy

--[[ ]]--