Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Does The NTE5465 SCR In My Circuit Remain Closed, Even With No Current?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the reported results aren't plausible unless there's a remaining load keeping the SCR in triggered state. I see little chance to debug the design from a distance.

- - - Updated - - -

I worked with flash bulbs as a school boy. If I remember right, the flash units often used a capacitor to store the ignition energy. Respectively the battery could be made much smaller. I presume you can design a capacitor based SCR ignitor that automatically releases the hold state by making the capacitor charge current low enough.

Thanks FvM!

This is what I have run into everywhere I turn with this issue. I have worked in my spare time for many months, on many different circuit designs, none successfully. I am just a photographer that is trying to achieve a goal. I even hired an actual electrical engineer. Paid him money. After many designs, even he gave up.

I will study the capacitor based SCR trigger approach. I will also work on Barry's design with the 555 timer. Maybe something can be achieved there.

Thinking as a non-engineer. I could actually place a couple of simple manual on/off switches into this circuit, as I know things do work as desired for one shot. It would just involve a long tedious process of steps between each photograph to accomplish.
a) Install a bulb in flash & take first photograph
b) Remove spent bulb (This breaks the flash circuit)
c) Flip a switch to break the breadboard circuit between the trigger side battery and Pin 1 of the MOS
d) Flip another switch to break the breadboard circuit between the flash side circuit resistor and Pin 6 of the MOS
e) Reinstall a new flash bulb into the flash
f) Flip both switches back on & ready for the next shot

Thank you all for your help. I will likely still ask questions on specifics as I have them. Thanks again.

Thanks FvM!

This is what I have run into everywhere I turn with this issue. I have worked in my spare time for many months, on many different circuit designs, none successfully. I am just a photographer that is trying to achieve a goal. I even hired an actual electrical engineer. Paid him money. After many designs, even he gave up.

I will study the capacitor based SCR trigger approach. I will also work on Barry's design with the 555 timer. Maybe something can be achieved there.

Thinking as a non-engineer. I could actually place a couple of simple manual on/off switches into this circuit, as I know things do work as desired for one shot. It would just involve a long tedious process of steps between each photograph to accomplish.
a) Install a bulb in flash & take first photograph
b) Remove spent bulb (This breaks the flash circuit)
c) Flip a switch to break the breadboard circuit between the trigger side battery and Pin 1 of the MOS
d) Flip another switch to break the breadboard circuit between the flash side circuit resistor and Pin 6 of the MOS
e) Reinstall a new flash bulb into the flash
f) Flip both switches back on & ready for the next shot

Thank you all for your help. I will likely still ask questions on specifics as I have them. Thanks again.
Sounds like you hired a pretty poor EE.

OK - it is possible that leakage thru the isolated mos switch is responsible, you need a gate to source resistor (say 1k) and possibly a 100nF caps G-S also, to keep the gate below 2V for applied step voltages - unless you are trying to fire it - whereupon you provide a longer pulse.

- - - Updated - - -

As to the SCR, when you put a new one in you are putting a step voltage on the device and it is self triggering, this is not uncommon for sensitive gate SCR's, usual cure is again a resistor, 100 ohm in this case say, and a 470nF cap from gate to cathode(k) ,assuming cathode gate SCR which almost all are these days, this will stop the SCR turning on when the battery is applied, or a new bulb, and should give you the operation you initially desired.

We use SCR's ( the TYN640 ) for firing large DC pulses for ignitor circuits for un-exploded munitions detonation, with a peak firing voltage of 420VDC and peak currents of 250A - all in a TO220 package

Last edited:

Hi All,
I have given up on this effort for now. Sorry if this post is not appropriate. I would like to hire another electrical engineer but only locally this time. I live in the Kansas City Metro area. I think it is best to be someone that I can physically see and that can physically handle the flash. I have two other requirements that I am sure will eliminate almost, if not everyone. 1) I will not pay another dollar to anyone until a successful prototype is provided. 2) The finished product is for my personal use as an individual hobbyist, so I cannot just hire a firm to attempt a solution for large sums of money. Just hoping that somewhere out there, someone might find this task interesting.

I can be contacted via my website: https://BruceVarner.com/ Thanks again for everyone's input and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back