Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spectrum analyzer and ripple measuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdsgames

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have a SMPS and would like to measure ripple and noise from 9Khz to 100Khz using a spectrum analyzer.

So I have a DSA 875 from Rigol that can measure from 9Khz and up.

This is the first time I am using a spectrum analyzer and I have no idea what to do. Should I use a capacitor in line (to block the DC) ? I assume that C and R(50R) will make a HPF so I calculated that C should be at least 2.2uF

I would like the results to be very accurate (uV level).

I want to add that ripple should be around 40-60Khz (sw frequency)

I was thinking to have the sweep time to 10s , RMS detector on and 0 DB attenuation

RWB at 15Khz , measurements in FFT , VBW at 100Khz

Bandwidth 9-900Khz

I don't understand how "FFT" comes into play. DSA875 is classical sweeping spectrum analyzer, no FFT involved.

According to datasheet, the RF input is already DC coupled with 50 V DC rating. So you won't need another DC block for lower DC voltage range. I would however set an input attenuation of 20 or 30 dB to achieve maximum strength against transients. If the switching noise is very low (unlikely), you can later increase the sensitivity.

Hi

thx you for yoour help , I am able to take readings. I used rbw at 10Khz and vbw at 100Khz and sweep time 10s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back