Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming Silicon Labs IC Si5347 for SPI interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarungoel

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to use this IC as Jitter attenuator for cleaning the clock....SPI protocol would be used....input and output frequency would be 200 Mhz...... So, to test the simulations in Modelsim i have to write the code in VHDL......So anyone know the approach to program the given IC for SPI protocol in VHDL...
Please share your thoughts !

The problem is not very clear.
Do you want to model the complete IC Si5347 or just the SPI part of IC Si5347?

As for writing the VHDL code for a SPI master (assuming your FPGA is SPI master and IC Si5347 is the slave) there are 100s of working codes available via Google search.

Hi,

Sometimes when I read threads about communication via SPI or similar interfaces ...it seems that the posters think that one needs specisl SPI interfaces (or code, or IP) for different SPI ICs.
Usually you can use the same SPI VHDL code for ADCs, DACs, memories, PLLs...

Usually the PLD manufacturer or the software manufacturer provide this code. They usually come with a good description..
I don't recommend "unreliable" code you find by a random search in the internet.

Use a reliable code, then ...
* You just need to use the correct setup (SPI clock frequency, SPI mode..)
* and you need to send/receive the correct data.

Klaus

okay....let me explore my task....
i have to make a testbench for testing the given IC...the purpose of using this is to clean the frequency i.e. to attenuate the jitters present in the original frequency.....now manufacturer provides a software tool to program the registers present in the IC....so according to my needs i have created the register file in which all the registers are feed by some value.....so now i have .h file (register file) but how to test it that it would work and how to make interface it using that register file.....so should i switch to EDK i.e. microblaze based as from there i can directly put spi protocol.....i have never used microblaze... so please share your thoughts regarding this ????

Hi,

May I ask why you want to use a PLD for the SPI communication.
It is the hard way...unless there is no other benefit we don't know.

It's easier to use SPI with a microcontroller...or with a USB_to_SPI interface directely with the PC.

Klaus

i have to make a testbench for testing the given IC.
That means all your TB should do is to 1st configure the registers of the IC, then by some means feed in jittery signal and then look out for stable signal coming out.

I think (have not looked into the IC datasheet) that the registers of the IC can also be configure via SPI communication (prior to cleaning your jittery signal).

so should i switch to EDK i.e. microblaze based as from there i can directly put spi protocol.....i have never used microblaze... so please share your thoughts regarding this ????
A SPI core in FPGA should be able to communicate with the IC. microblaze will only help you in the fact that you can write some s/w code and the uB can execute it.

Now the Silicon Labs IC Si5347 is a pre-verified, proven in silicon device, which is supposed to be working as per its datasheet. I do not understand why you are putting so much additional effort to test it.
I am in agreement with post #5,
It's easier to use SPI with a microcontroller...or with a USB_to_SPI interface directely with the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back