Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parameter S11 and bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I simulated a patch antenna in hfss and i got this S11 parameter, is this a good parameter S11 or not??
and please tell me how much equal the bandwidth?

Please i need an answer and thank you. S11.PNG

It is impossible to evaluate an antenna with a single piece of information (S11). What are the geometric details of the antenna? What is the gain? What is the antenna to be used for?

This antenna is designed to cover 5G applications, the antenna antenna and it's dimensions are given:an.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

This antenna is designed to cover 5G applications, the antenna antenna and it's dimensions are given:antenna.PNG

Detailing its physical properties is a good start. Now, we'd need to know things like specific applications (so we can tell if the bandwidth/center frequency is appropriate), and other electromagnetic properties such as radiation efficiency and/or gain, which is needed to judge S11.

Hello,
This antenna can be used for 5G applications and i don't know a specific applications, i ask for that, for other electromagnetic properties such as radiation efficiency and/or gain, they are given bellowradiation pattern.PNGradiation pattern.PNG Total Gain in dB.PNGTotal Gain in dB.PNG E-H plane.PNG
Any help please.

From the figures above, the antenna's gain is always smaller than 1 dBi. This means that it's not terribly efficient. That might not be a problem, but it depends on the application. For cellular communications, I would suspect that this antenna is not adequate -- but again, it depends on the specific purpose.

What is good enough really depends on the application. -10 dB is often good enough for patches. Horns and the like are more often -15 dB. High performance and critical applications, satellite antennas for example, can often require -30 dB. The considerations are insertion loss and in some cases the interaction with the electronics immediately adjacent to the antenna. A poor match immediately adjacent to a powerful amplifier can cause the PA grief with reflected power.

As I have often mentioned a good match does not imply a good antenna. A poor match almost never results with a good antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back