Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Novel method in Compensation for Op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_wiz

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I was reading through compensation methods for 2 stage CMOS op-amps which include 3 methods:
1. Nulling resistor
2. Put Source follower with Miller Cap
3. Common Gate with Miller Cap (aka Ahuja Compensation https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1052012)

My question is -To Block the FeedForward path why not simply use a diode, say instead of Souce Follower? See the pic for more clarity...Any reasons why it won't work? edatoolpic.png

FeedForward path means a signal path, an ac path!

Hi analog_wiz,

2. Put Source follower with Miller Cap

I think you meant Common Source stage with Miller Cap.

My question is -To Block the FeedForward path why not simply use a diode, say instead of Souce Follower? See the pic for more clarity...Any reasons why it won't work?View attachment 143496

I think the goal (in Ahuja Comp) was to remove the feed forward path from 1st stage to 2nd stage but still have a miller compensation (or Cap multiplication).

In you circuit isn't the diode blocking the Miller Cap ? The diode small signal equivalent model can be drawn when it is forward biased, how do you ensure in your ckt that the diode is DC forward biased ? Also it's small signal (ac) equivalent is nothing but a resistance so its'n it same as normal Miller (if at all one can keep it in forward bias)?

What small signal (ac) behavior are you expecting from the diode ? Could you elaborate or show any result/derivation ?

Let me know your comments.

Thanks,
Siddhartha

Status
Not open for further replies.