Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer electronic component problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmars

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I got my current used computer in June 2016. I installed win7 and the dell drivers, and updated the bios. There were issues with this computer and dell had replaced many. After much research and trying different ram, video and wifi cards I got a stable working system in Dec 2016. At this time I wiped HDD, reinstalled win7 and kept it updated with all the required patches. About a month ago I wiped the HDD and reinstalled everything again. I did this because it was getting slow and kwurky. This is the same as with xp. Before win7 I used xp for over 10 years and about once a year I would wipe and reinstall everything. When I reinstall, I always get the latest apps of everything that I use. Currently: TB, firefox, VideoLAN, Utorrent, AV, Easy Thumbnails, Libreoffice.

Sometime ago I started hearing 'pops'. I did not think this was caused by my computer. I have some wood furniture in my room and I rarely use AC, keep my windows open, and this is central humid florida. My room has wood walls and wood ceiling. It is not uncommon to hear noises like this. This pop sounds like wood cracking. I heard it maybe about once a month. When I am home, I do often leave my computer on all day to frequently check emails. So, im not in the room and it might be popping more frequently. In the last 6 months or so I think I have actually been hearing it less often. Im really not too sure, cuz I've gotten used to it and might not even noticing when it happens. Last night it happened again while I was using the computer and the screen went blank for a fraction of a second. I never noticed this before. This is making me think the noise might be from the computer.

Ideas?

thanks,
pa
Dell desktop optiplex 380 w/original Pentium Dual Core E5700/3.00GH z,2M,800FSB, Optiplex 380
PROCESSOR, E5700, 3.0, 2MB, WFD, 65W, R0.
It had no ram and I inastalled one four gig and one two gig DDR3
Integrated Video,GMA 4500,Dell OptiPlex 760/980
Integrated audio.
Using usb wifi. (using integrated or PCI wifi card caused occasional parity error. I've not had this error since I installed the usb wifi in Dec 2016.

Hi,

The remark has to be: How used is used? Anyway, no idea what the popping sounds may be. I find heat is not a good friend to computers, summer heat or a heater under a table in winter affects performance. Doubt it's this if you do frequent reinstalls, good to be sure there aren't graphics driver updates from time to time. As far as I remember Google recommends not leaving a computer - so presumably that goes for email accounts as well - unlocked if you are away from it. Slow should be remedied by making it a habit of checking after every new program install the msconfig.exe option and turning off unnecessary programs and services at startup and regularly defragging if it's a disk drive or using the SSD manager program, I guess you do all that, and cleaning up browsers if the anti-virus allows that, too.

Popping noises could be to do with amplifiers in the computer, but even in my ignorance I find that improbable if it happens at random times.

Pops or crackling might be heard from an electrolytic capacitor whose seal breaks due to overvoltage or overheating. Also a battery. Fluid may escape.

A building can pop and creak as it settles over the years. Examine around door frames for breaks in gypsum board, etc. Also examine foundation walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back