Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it Me, Kirchoff or LTSpice that's not working here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

righteous

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Engineers and other good people,

I ran into what seems to be a malfunction of something, Kirchhoff's Law states "The algebraic sum of currents in a network of conductors meeting at a point is zero." But here it only seems to be true for the positive period of a sine, can anyone explain it? look here:

Screenshot from 2017-12-17 11-58-09.png

Regards.

Hi,

Yes, diode current has wrong direction.

Klaus

Hi,

I personally don't like to relate the current direction here on the diode orientation.

According Kirchhoff one need the same direction to/from the node for all currents
--> Either all current vectors need to point to the node
...or away from the node.

Klaus

I personally don't like to relate the current direction here on the diode orientation.
It is a usemodel of measuring device(or instance) current in SPICE.

On the other hand, we measure terminal current in Cadence Spectre.

According Kirchhoff one need the same direction to/from the node for all currents
Terminology of "node" is used for Voltage in SPICE Type Simulator.

In this case, there are three terminals connected to one node.

Last edited:

Hi,

Klaus

ahh ok, in LTSpice the diode current vector is to the node, the other two are from the node. So LTSpice is not Kirchoff compatible (in lack of a better word)?

So LTSpice is not Kirchoff compatible (in lack of a better word)?
It's your job to arrange the current measurements in accordance with the circuit function. Each two terminal component has a fixed current measurement polarity assigned. If it doesn't point the right way, use a minus sign.

ltpice.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back