Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VNC on raspberry pi 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamidreza.a

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every one.
I don't know how can i control my raspberry pi 3 with mobile by vnc.
Please if you could do it help me. Because i read the notes in internet and did them but i couldn't.
Thank you

Why don't you try install any by inline command (eg sudo apt-get install vnc4server) or even checking with synaptic package manager if there are other options available for the distro you are using ?

Anyway, I never heard about VNC client support for mobile, but I must be outdated.

What OS are you running on the Raspberry Pi? If you are using the latest Raspbian (desktop, not lite) then it has a VNC server already in it - all you need to do is turn it on on the Raspbian configuration tool.
Once that is working, you should be able to access it from any VNC client (provided you have the necessary access through firewalls etc.). Just be aware that the intervention network can make it virtually unusable if the bandwidth is not big enough.
Having said all that, what sort of control do you really need? I've used SSH to connect from my iPad to my RPi (which *is* running Raspbian Lite, i.e. no GUI) and it allows me to control everything I could from the terminal connected directly to it with reasonable speeds.
Susan

I confirm what Susan says. Later versions of Raspberry OS already have it included but it may not be enabled. If I remember correctly the setting is in the config window along with SPI, webcam, serial and other options.

I can connect to the desktop over my LAN using my Samsung mobile phone and even over a mobile network connection if it has 4G signal.

I have seen a problem which you might want to be aware of: if you remotely shut down the Pi over the VNC connection I have found it occasionally corrupts some files. Using a terminal window and issuing "shutdown 10" then immediately logging out of the VNC connection seems a safe way to do it. The VNC session closes and the Pi shuts down 10 seconds later.

Brian.

What OS are you running on the Raspberry Pi? If you are using the latest Raspbian (desktop, not lite) then it has a VNC server already in it - all you need to do is turn it on on the Raspbian configuration tool.
Once that is working, you should be able to access it from any VNC client (provided you have the necessary access through firewalls etc.). Just be aware that the intervention network can make it virtually unusable if the bandwidth is not big enough.
Having said all that, what sort of control do you really need? I've used SSH to connect from my iPad to my RPi (which *is* running Raspbian Lite, i.e. no GUI) and it allows me to control everything I could from the terminal connected directly to it with reasonable speeds.
Susan

Hi. Thank you for answering. My os on respberry pi is raspbian (desktop mode) . And os on my mobile is android. I activated vnc on raspberry pi and then turn vnc on both of them and try to make a connection but i cann't. I use my lcd monitor of my computer with hdmi cable for raspberry pi because my 5" lcd hdmi rev 2.1 couldn't run on it, i don't know why. I just connected cable but that 5" lcd just showed noise.

Best regards
Hamidreza

Download the app "Remote Ripple" for Android and install it.
Enter the IP address of your Raspberry Pi.
You should then see the Pi desktop on your mobile.

Important: It will only work over your local network (WiFi). If you want to connect through the internet or from a remote location you have to do something else as well:

Using your router setup, add 'port forwarding' to the Pi's IP address. You might find it more reliable to assign the Pi a fixed address instead of the usual DHCP so the setting never change. Select a port number that isn't used for anything else, in particular avoid low numbers (< 1000) as these are commonly used for other internet traffic.

You can then connect remotely using xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyyy where the 'xxx' is your public IP address and 'yyyyy' is the port number you chose.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back