Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA Ethernet interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad.

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I am thinking to replace my UART core from my FPGA system with an Ethernet one. Right now I am using a commercial board to control my system, hence it has a PHY interface for Ethernet, NEXYS-4 DDR board. I am using VHDL and VIVADO for this.

I want to place my system in to a intranet network, commercial router based, and I want to read data from it with a pc connected via Ethernet.
I was looking at some IPs from Xilinx, AXI Ethernet Lite, but maybe is better to ask here for some thoughts or solutions first.

Do you thinks is suitable to use it, even I dont have a huge amount of data? (about 100kbits/s)
If yes, can you recommend some solutions which not include the Microblaze core from Xilinx?

Thank you,
Vlad

Hi Vlad,
I had the same need as you. I have an Artyboard that also have ethernet.
I connected fpga-cores.com and applied for "test-pilot" and got a working core with DHCP, TCP that works on the Artyboard.
The Artyboard has a 100mbit MII interface to the ethernet phy.
Maybe they have a core for NEXYS-4 DDR (or it could be the same if you also have a 100mbit MII).
Cheers

For 100kbps, I would use a pc. This assumes I just want to get something that works for the application. If this is part of a larger product, probably a zynq or a fpga + micro combo based on what makes the most sense.

If you want to process raw Ethernet frames then a Xilinx AXI Ethernet Lite core with a uBlaze is good enough. But if you want to implement higher level protocols, #3 is better.
Have a look here **broken link removed** for lots of design ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.