Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High power led matrix connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I came to a solution. I will use current mirror with aditional bypass transistor, which can whitstand 6A of current in case, no string is connected, so all the current passes throuhgh this transistor. I draw a circuit in LTspice and simulated it and it works. Please, ignore part values, because they are just for a test. Do you think this will work as expected?
current_protection.PNG

Hi,

Yes, in your simulation you don't see how Q3 will explode.

Klaus

Hi,

Calculate the max power dissipation....and compare the result with the datasheet rated power dissipation.

Klaus

The "different transistor" must be able to dissipate 200 W continuously. No realistic design idea.

Reactions: bmandl

bmandl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I guess, I'll really have to omit the protection and maybe just use some current mirror to equalize currents. I hope that non of the leds dies, or at least just one string.

Exactly how would resistors in each string equalize currents through leds? I am talking about configuration with constant current power supply and multiple parallel strings of series leds with series resistors?
Oh, and btw, how about this circuit for equalization of current?

Status
Not open for further replies.