Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Material used to make meter leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneft

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question about the probe ends used for meter leads. I'm working on a project to make a probe adapter and was wondering if anyone knows what material is used to make the probe tip for meter leads? I was going to try and use SS finishing nails but I'm not sure I will be able to trust the solder/wire connection for strength.

Is there a place I can source the rods? They would need to be the same diameter as a standard meter lead as the device I am making needs to fit into a set of holes on a power supply designed to take meter leads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The ones I use here are nickel plated brass. Easy to machine, easy to solder and have good surface strength and corrosion resistance.

Standard plugs are 4mm size.

Brian.

Thanks. Any idea where to source them from?

Also can I assume you meant 2mm since 4mm seems awfully thick for meter leads.

I meant the plugs for standard meter sockets and PSU sockets are 4mm. For the probe wire itself, you can get extra-flexible wire with many fine strands and silicone insulation which is far 'bendier' than normal PVC insulation.

Brian.

For terminal posts on my homemade power supply, I used Radio Shack's multi-function banana jacks. They are rugged and have thumbscrews which grip a wire or pin-plug. The red & black banana plugs (with red & black flexible wires) came from a broken multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.