Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pole numbers of Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricalEngineering

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was surfing the impact of pole number on working of the machine (motors and generators). I studied machines for some time and familiar with equation N = 120f/ P. As it says increasing pole number will decrease the speed for same frequency. So is that all or there are some other factors too? And also the motors/generators perspective. I already googled and not found suitable results. Thanks in advance to all EDA community. :popcorn:

Increasing the number of poles reduces rpm but increases torque. You can also effect a motors speed by increasing slip. Search how multispeed motors work.

You also asked about generators. The relationship of frequency and rpm are much the same.
2 pole motor @ 60 hz = 3600 rpm
2 pole generator @ 3600 rpm = 60 hz
I'm not sure about DC generators but my guess would be that they are the same. The commutators probably give you a ripply output at twice the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.