Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Curent Density inside perfect conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzafar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I understand that conductivity σ, inside a perfect conductor approaches ∞. Also, E-field, inside as well as on the surface of PEC is 0.

Then according to Ohm's Law: J = σE what should the current density, J be inside the PEC, in this case?

J = ∞.0 ⇒ J = ? (0 or ∞ or something else?)

Thanks

J can have any value.

A superconductor can support any DC current with zero potential. However, you are ignoring the effects of the magnetic field produced by the DC current that will have an effect on the current.

So you mean in the case I provided, J will have a random value? I am just concerned about this specific case when J = ∞.0!

Thanks

We call it undetermined value; ∞ is not a number and you need to consider this as a limiting case. The current density will be determined by other considerations and not from this equation because according to the equation J will "undetermined" value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back