Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Terminal potential difference and potential difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajivConfident

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know that what is the difference between terminal potential difference and potential differencd?

I know what is a potential and what is potential difference; but I have never heard about terminal potential difference. Could you please be explicit a bit more or tell us the context? Potential difference is the quality measured in volts (it is actually a measure of energy) and is equal to the work done in moving an unit positive charge (say one Columb) between two points. Every point in an electric field is associated with a potential and if the electric field is constant the potential difference between any two points will be zero.

But what terminal you are talking about?

I believe the context to be a measurement of emf when current or no current flows.
Emf = potential difference when no current flows.
Terminal potential difference/ terminal voltage would be measurement across for example the terminals of a battery when current is flowing. There would be a drop because of internal resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back