Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Duty cycle detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

earckens

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to detect whether the duty cycle from a circuit drops below a certain value.
Frequency: 2kHz
Amplitude: TTL (0 to 5V)
Step response: an hour or more (it is a very slow system), this is not PWM (duty cycle may change very slowly).
Requirement: detect whether the duty cycle is lower then a adjustable value, most likely less then around 70% (but may also be blow 85% if possible to design a detection for that value).
Hysteresis is required, say about 5 to 10%.

When the duty cycle drops below the preset value a TTL output needs to be triggered. When the duty cycle recovers above the preset value+hysteresis the TTL output needs to be reset. Changes in duty cycle take several hours. However measurements take place once an hour only, during a time adjustable between say 5 seconds and 30 seconds.

A circuit with a flipflop and 2 comparators is my preference. And I want a hardware solution, no software with microcontroller: the circuit has to be universally used without need for software. at a later stage this circuit wil be used in a controller for further processing.
Modify message

Hi,

A school project?

TTL levels are >2V / <0.7V ... but they may go up to 5V / 0V. This is a huge source of error., because you can´t rely on the voltage level.

Therefore I recommend to use a CMOS analog SPDT sitch with TTL logic input levels.
NC to to GND
NO to VCC
COM = output

At the output connect a second order low pass filter (simple RCRC) to attenuate ripple and get almost pure DC signal that is proportional to duty cycle.
Use a cutoff frequency of about 25Hz, this results in a ripple of less than 1mV.

This signal is one input of a comparator.
The other input is an adjustable voltage divider (connected to VCC to GND) and a noise filter capacitor to adjust thresold level.

Feedback the comparator output with an appropriate resistor to get the desired hysteresis.

--> one comparator, no flip flop

If you are in any doubt, then you should give a more detailed description with a picture of the signal flow, timing and so on..

Klaus

Hi,

A school project?

TTL levels are >2V / <0.7V ... but they may go up to 5V / 0V. This is a huge source of error., because you can´t rely on the voltage level.

Therefore I recommend to use a CMOS analog SPDT sitch with TTL logic input levels.
NC to to GND
NO to VCC
COM = output

At the output connect a second order low pass filter (simple RCRC) to attenuate ripple and get almost pure DC signal that is proportional to duty cycle.
Use a cutoff frequency of about 25Hz, this results in a ripple of less than 1mV.

This signal is one input of a comparator.
The other input is an adjustable voltage divider (connected to VCC to GND) and a noise filter capacitor to adjust thresold level.

Feedback the comparator output with an appropriate resistor to get the desired hysteresis.

--> one comparator, no flip flop

If you are in any doubt, then you should give a more detailed description with a picture of the signal flow, timing and so on..

Klaus

Hi, thank you for this lighting fast feedback.
Signal levels are 0 to 5V
This is for an extension to a project discussed here last year (https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=353365 where Vitoa used a LTC6905 and AD8307 to generate 100MHz and detect attenuation in a soil sensor. I got that part working although there is lots of work to do to optimize the sensing element design.
As a sideways project I use Audioguru's design in that same page; I use output from pin 11 which is a square wave with load dependent duty cycle. That is what I intend to use as input to a "duty cycle detector": duty cycle drops below an adjustable value (most likely below 80%, but I may tweak that to below 70%) then an output has to be triggered. Duty cycle recovers, then trigger reset.

Here are two scope images, the second is when no trigger is needed (duty cycle <90%), the first when an output needs to be triggered (yellow signals; the blue one is from the probe output, not relevant here). DS1Z_QuickPrint13.jpgDS1Z_QuickPrint12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back