Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

do we need TVS for power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisepic

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I use toroid transformer to generate 20VAC then pass through diode bridge, I wonder is it neccessary to use TVS protect circuit. I'm afraid of spike/ transient or surge? But toroid is actually L and it form LC filter it will block spike.

Pls give me advice. thanks.

Not enough information. What comes after the diode bridge, a washing machine? A critical life-support system?

If you are afraid of spike, then use one.

If you are not afraid, then you don't need one.

Hi,

I´d say no power supply generally needs TVS.
TVS means transient voltage suppression

Therefore you need an TVS only in a circuit where you expect transient voltages.

There are power supply types that need a TVS in it´s internal circuitry, and there are other supplies that don´t need TVS.

And you don´t say where you want to place the TVS...in the input ...in the output .. somewhere inbetween.
I schematic or at least a sketch could calrify this.

Klaus

I'm using microcontroller in power supply module. High current about 25A, Voltage 50V after bridge, and I'm thinking TVS? is it enough to protect MCU. Or we need additional choke?

- - - Updated - - -

has motor (inductive load), LED, SMPS..after power supply.

Which is better protection microcontroller: TVS, zenner diode, MOV?

In my board using microcontroller to drive H-bridge control the motor. Microcontroller is damage during the test, I'm thinking about the protection but there's some way to protect microcontroller.
Which one is suitable?

Hello,

I´ve merged your threads because they both were related to the same problem.

But as long as you don´t give enough information (like requested befroe) I doubt there will be a good answer.

Klaus

Re: Which is better protection microcontroller: TVS, zenner diode, MOV?

In my board using microcontroller to drive H-bridge control the motor. Microcontroller is damage during the test, I'm thinking about the protection but there's some way to protect microcontroller.
Which one is suitable?

Until you identify what caused the failure, there's no way to answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.