Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Running multiple program on flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

beginner_EDA

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have 256 Mbit Flash on Kintex-7 FPGA board.
**broken link removed**

I would like to know is there any possiblity of loading 2 or more different programs on the same flash giving new offsets for every new programs and run one program at a time controlled by external command?

P.S. Individual program works already.

Hi,

does it make sense? It is no software like in a processor.

If you ask me for a simple solution: I´d use two flash memories and with the chip selects you choose which code to run.

Klaus

Hi,
If you ask me for a simple solution: I´d use two flash memories and with the chip selects you choose which code to run.
Klaus
yes, this is obvious.

but the thing is only one flash is available which is of 256 Mbit and each program is about 10 Mbit. If only 2 program can be load and run one at time this will be fine.
Is there not any way in flash chip to say load one program from this address and another from another address?

Are you asking about FPGA configuration or embedded processor program? Loading alternative FPGA configuration is supported by the Multiboot feature, review series 7 configuration user guide. Starting multiple processor codes should be possible in any case. At worst case you'll write a bootloader branching into multiple firmware images.

Booting multiple configurations in a FPGA depends on special hardware features. Many modern FPGAs have built-in logic enabling it to boot multiple configurations. A bootloader or "factory configuration" at address 0 is started first, it reads some information from external or previously set internal registers and restarts a configuration residing at a different memory address. A watchdog timeout or CRC error triggers a fallback to bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back