Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cyclone 5 socket usb_uart ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Cyclone 5 sockit usb_uart port

hi,

i have cyclone 5 sockit. inthe fpga , there is usb uart port. but its a part of the HPS, not fpga. so is it possible to use tha usb uart port using nios processor ?
i mean nios2 processor +uart (rs232)+on chip ram ??

newdoubt.JPG
thanks and regards

Re: cyclone 5 sockit usb_uart port

No, there's no direct connection between FPGA fabric and dedicated HPS IO pins.

Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You rather want the USB-2-TTL-UART than USB-2-RS485 cable. E.g. FTDI TTL-232R-3V3

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/interface-development-kits/0429307/

Yes, I overlooked specs - it must be TTL UART 3.3V not RS485.
One can use cheaper adapter like this one:

**broken link removed**

or this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-...567802?hash=item33d5a318ba:g:7psAAOSwa81Zc7ok

There is a plenty of various sorts/types/kinds at eBay and similar websites.

hi,
thanks for the replay fvm & filip.amator. actually i need to take two register value from fpga (both 32 bit)to pc for evaluation. now i done it with jtag uart+nios 2 processor. but the speed is around 5k . but i need a speed of 10 k. so i thought i will use uart (rs 232 ip). but its not working . so anybody know how to do it with hps . do i need to implement a qsys system for that(like jtag uart) . if yes what components i nee to add (like hps+onchip ram+uart +??). i didnt got any reference design if anybody had it please send a link .

i am using "sockit" from terasic .

regards

Re: Cyclone 5 sockit usb_uart port

You can use PIO component (8 bits for data and one bit to start UART) in NIOS2 processor to send characters over UART to the host PC. Take UART_TX.vhd from this website: https://www.nandland.com/vhdl/modules/module-uart-serial-port-rs232.html and wire signals between NIOS2 and UART core: i_TX_Byte to 8 bit PIO with your data and i_TX_DV to start UART.

sending 64 bits from fpga to pc using hps @10khz

hi,
i had a terasic sockit (which had a cyclone 5 soc). i already implemented sending 64 bit data from fpga to pc by using nios2 processor
( nios2+jtag uart_onchipram). but its speed is very low(around 2to 3khz) , i am not able to get 10khz speed. so what should i do??

sockit had a usb to uart port which is integrated to hps, i think by using it, i can increase the speed. but how can i use it?
along with hps what are the components i need to use in QSYS system?
if anybody got a reference program lease share the link , it will be very helpful to me

is it possible to use qsys system to run the hps like i did using nios2 processor ?( is it possible to use hps without booting form an sd card)
if it not possible how can i do it , any tutorial for that ?

for sending data is it necessary to boot it from a sd card, is there any other way ?, like i did using nios processor

my future work is to change one register value inside fpga from a terminal form pc (using hps) .

if anybody know any information regrading this, please share ( i am using quartus 16.0 lite edition in windows7)

thanks and regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.