Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video camera project - microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew2

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to create a project in which I would like to use a camcorder as a ptz camera. Data from the camera is necessary processed from a microcontroller and be stored.

What camera to choose for this project? Is it possible to implement this project by pic24 microcontroller ?

It might be possible with PIC micro-controller but camera resolution would be rather low like 320x200 px. It depends what do you want to do with a captured image (one frame or more), do you want to use some sort of compression etc.
Using Raspberry PI Zero with dedicated camera would be the best solution for a start.

I need a very good resolution so according your answer dspic is out or discussion.

Also what do you mean by "dedicate camera"? what about the MSP430 controller ??
(i haven't work with this controller but i think is not a bad solution)
what do you mean ?

I would like to create a project in which I would like to use a camcorder as a ptz camera. Data from the camera is necessary processed from a microcontroller and be stored.

What camera to choose for this project? Is it possible to implement this project by pic24 microcontroller ?

Nowadays, it would not make any sense to choose some microcontroller having less than 32-bit data bus with no DMA transfer capability, so the first choice that comes to mind is some ARM, preferably a Cortex able to embeed a Linux OS (eg. -A8) . In addition, the resources available at the uC peripherals can make a lot of difference in the overall performance. Anyway, when you refer to "camera data should be processed", this is a somewhat broad requirement in the sense that it does not specify exactly what the workload the program will have to withstand.

ok. what about the camera? what video camera to choose?

I would recommend you make a search for **broken link removed** compatible USB cameras, prefereably the ones which support h264 encoding formats because with that kind you can take advantage of the device driver that can be installed in most embeeded Linux distros, making the capture and handle of videos much more friendly at the programming stage.

You can also use modules like OV5642 or much simpler OV7670

Relevant details of the design are still missing, such as whether the camera will be used outdoor with the possibility of adding different interchangeable external objective lenses, or whether the application would only be for use in a narrow range close to the object. Others aspects matters as for example illuminating schemes, etc...As for the sensor indicated in the above link, it has a JPEG encoder which is highly lossly compression format and may degrade a little the quality of the video, whose 1 vga do not provide that high resolution. Although its bridge chipset is theoretically able to deal with uncompressed mode, it is unclear whether the product itself supports this mode or not. The H.264 in other hand, although not being entirely without loss of quality, does so selectively in part of the image. Anyway, based on the initial specification where you cited the product 'camcorder', it seems a waste to use a camera that expensive if you want only take snapshots with the ptz function.

Relevant details of the design are still missing, such as whether the camera will be used outdoor

The camera will be used outdoor

with the possibility of adding different interchangeable external objective lenses, or whether the application would only be for use in a narrow range close to the object.

The camera is to monitor all the area but is needed to be focus to the specific object. If needed to achieve the better result (or to reduce the cost by selecting cheaper camera)then external lenses will be added.

Others aspects matters as for example illuminating schemes, etc...
According Illuminating schemes If you mean the illuminating of the produced video then I need a decent image . If you mean capabilities for high recording then I need the system to be able to record in nigh.

As for the sensor indicated in the above link, it has a JPEG encoder which is highly lossly compression format and may degrade a little the quality of the video, whose 1 vga do not provide that high resolution. Although its bridge chipset is theoretically able to deal with uncompressed mode, it is unclear whether the product itself supports this mode or not. The H.264 in other hand, although not being entirely without loss of quality, does so selectively in part of the image.

JPEG camera is out of discussion since I need a video camera not images .Also I am looking for a decent resolution/quality

Anyway, based on the initial specification where you cited the product 'camcorder', it seems a waste to use a camera that expensive if you want only take snapshots with the ptz function.

I need a video camera. I am thinking to add the PTZ functionality by adding a servo motor. Is it a good idea?

The camera will be used outdoor

The camera is to monitor all the area but is needed to be focus to the specific object. If needed to achieve the better result (or to reduce the cost by selecting cheaper camera)then external lenses will be added

Your camera should prefereably have the possibility to attach external objective lenses according to the focal distance and the region of interest of the target that you want to take pictures. The most used for outdoor application are the 'C-mount' type lenses, and you should look for a camera which suports such assembly. Many time ago I have researched a lens which has the ability to accept external commands to mechanically adjust its focus, a kind of apparatus that rotates it in clock/anticlockwise direction.

According Illuminating schemes If you mean the illuminating of the produced video then I need a decent image . If you mean capabilities for high recording then I need the system to be able to record in nigh.

There are IR illuminators suited for that in ring format so that you can mount around the objective lens. Perhaps not necessary to remark, but camera for nightvision should be based on CMOS sensor.

JPEG camera is out of discussion since I need a video camera not images .Also I am looking for a decent resolution/quality

You should have a look on the available IP camera options to sell, there are many varying from price to additional features such as SDK included or not. If your system will be outdoor aswell close to the camera, you could even consider searching USB compatible cameras which would perhaps turn the development process a little more easy, at least in my particular oppinion.

I need a video camera. I am thinking to add the PTZ functionality by adding a servo motor. Is it a good idea?

Servo motor to mechanically trigger the snapshot ? I doubt that you couldn't find any camera which could do that by electrical or even by electronic command, via communication protocol. It is somewhat standard for cameras used on industrial applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.