Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple output ground separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

VSef

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm working on a power supply design that has multiple outputs. I am using a flyback topology since the circuit is connected to the mains. I know that I need to have galvanic isolation to prevent failures and to prevent accidents. However I want to know when do I have to separate the grounds of my outputs. I have 2 outputs, one is on 5Vdc which drives my logic circuitry and the other is on 24Vdc which is connected to my sensors. Based on which factors should I decide to have their grounds separated?

Thank you

Hi,

Based on which factors should I decide to have their grounds separated?
If the application needs seperated grounds....

Imagine a PC power supply: It has several output voltages, all refer to the same GND.

Klaus

5V and 24 Voltage are very low voltage no need of separate ground
Some cases in PCB rooting the ground may separated to reduce noise (Digital ground or analog ground or power ground or signal ground ...ect

Status
Not open for further replies.