Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solving hold time problems via SDC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

FPGA A is connected to FPGA B via a source synchronous parallel bus - 8 data lines and 1 clock.
FPGA A asserts data with a tco of 0.5ns from the positive clock edge to data valid.
However, the system has a design flow: The clock line that connects FPGA A and B is passed through a buffer while the data lines don't.

This buffer causes the clock to be delayed for 2 ns - essentially changing the tco FPGA B sees to a negative value.

I solved the problem with a PLL via changing the phase of the input clock to a safe value.

But can such problem be solved via SDC only ?
I.E: tell the timing tools that I'm expecting a negative propagation delay and have it solve the problem...

Change the the input delay constraint for the data based on the skew on the clock. That is the usual way of specifying constraints on source synchronous input interfaces.

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Change the the input delay constraint for the data based on the skew on the clock.
So, you're suggesting not to use a PLL and simply change the input delay to a negative value ?

- - - Updated - - -

I've attached a drawing illustrating the timing violation caused by the addition of the buffer (only on the clock line).
I solved it by adding a phase shift of 270 degrees using a PLL inside FPGA B.

You're saying that I could've solved it by SDC only without the PLL?

Attachments

• Timing.png
    Timing.png
    17 KB · Views: 117

So, you're suggesting not to use a PLL and simply change the input delay to a negative value ?

Yes it can be done via SDC only. Analyze the violating paths the timing tool reports and accordingly set the set_input_delay and/or set_output_delay for DDR interfaces.

shaiko

Suppose that because of the PCB buffer, the positive clock edge arrives 3nS after the data is valid.

How would the set_input_delay command look like?

Suppose that because of the PCB buffer, the positive clock edge arrives 3nS after the data is valid.
How would the set_input_delay command look like?

When your clock and data enters the FPGA, you want the data to be transiting with the rising edge of the clock, right?

If so, then as you have clock skew of 3ns, then one way would be to delay the data also by 3ns, which can be achieved by the SC command:
set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks your_input_clk] -min <min_delay_value_in_ns> [get_ports {data_port_name}]
set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks your_input_clk] -max <max_delay_value_in_ns> [get_ports {data_port_name}]
The max and min values can be set by analyzing the timing path.

shaiko

When your clock and data enters the FPGA, you want the data to be transiting with the rising edge of the clock, right?
You would want to ensure that data transitions only after hold time is met...

I suspect the clock delay via buffer was intentional at some point.

I suspect the clock delay via buffer was intentional at some point.
The buffer is there for I/O protection only.
The board designer simply forgot to also add a buffer on the data lines - and now it causes an unbalanced clock-data delay.

If so, then as you have clock skew of 3ns, then one way would be to delay the data also by 3ns, which can be achieved by the SC command:
set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks your_input_clk] -min <min_delay_value_in_ns> [get_ports {data_port_name}]
set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks your_input_clk] -max <max_delay_value_in_ns> [get_ports {data_port_name}]
The max and min values can be set by analyzing the timing path.

The values marked in red will have to be negative - correct ?

The values marked in red will have to be negative - correct ?
They are allowed to take negative values.

You have the timing analysis report, in there look at the failing data path and accordingly put the delay on the data path.

shaiko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back