Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering directly to battery terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonadgranny

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all. quick question:
Is there any danger in soldering directly to battery terminals in the short and long term? i ask because i want to make use of the bl-5c lithium ion battery for a project. it is possible to **broken link removed** battery contacts for this particular battery but they are very expensive(i bought some a while back for cheaper but cant find any now).
This guide suggests its possible but i would like to hear some opinions. it seems that it comes down to thermal damage but if you are able to get the process done swiftly then it should be ok. I have tried it out and it seems to work ok from what i can tell....
Thanks for any possible reply's,
Danny

Last edited:

No, there is not any danger about direct soldering to battery terminal.
but i recommend you to solder it by removing strip and seal after solder.

but i recommend you to solder it by removing strip and seal after solder.
Thanks for the quick reply, Would you be able to elaborate on what you mean by removing the strip please? Thanks.

1. Battery terminals are NOT easy to solder.

2. Soldering temp may exceed 200C and the temp may damager the battery (there are plastic insulators /spacers in the battery).

3. If you have a spot welder, a thin connection may be welded with little heat. Because the welding will be over in less than a second, the total heat used will be perhaps less.

4. Perhaps you can make a temp holder? Li batteries are rather fussy; you need to pay attention to everything you do them!!

bl-5c is an enclosed mobile phone battery, the contacts are not actually "battery terminals", they connect to the Li-ion cell by wires or thin metal stripes.

Soldering to the gold plated contacts is easy and won't necessarily overheat the battery. Thus it may be acceptable in this special case.

bl-5c is an enclosed mobile phone battery, the contacts are not actually "battery terminals", they connect to the Li-ion cell by wires or thin metal stripes.

Soldering to the gold plated contacts is easy and won't necessarily overheat the battery. Thus it may be acceptable in this special case.

This did come to mind actually. Thanks for that its good news as those little connectors are very tricky to get hold of unless you are happy paying through the roof or want a 1000 of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back