Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply to controller and related electronics through solar panel or battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

BALKRISHNA TULSYAN

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to design solar charge controller. Can anyone tell me whether to provide power to microcontroller and other IC, through solar panel or through battery.
I got stuck as If we provide power through solar panel, then how microcontroller will get power during night and if we provide power through 12 volt battery then obviously circuit won't work if battery voltage goes down to 10 volt or less. (INA138 current sensor requires minimum 10 volt to work).

NOTE: Ground for panel and battery is not same. Both the ground are separated by MOSFET switch as MOSFET works as a PANEL reverse current protection.

Can anyone help me on this???

Hi,

It's relatively simple.
You said you want to design a charge controller
Then the microcontroller's job is to control the charging
--> supply it from the solar panel.
When it's dark there is no need for the microcontroller to run.

Klaus

if i supply through panel then how load cutoff will work in case of battery under voltage. Does solar panel provide sufficient votage and current (milli amp) even during night to power microcontroller atleast.

Hi,

This usually is not the job for a charge controller.
But for under-discharge protectionyou don't need a microcontroller.
A power switch (Mosfet) and a comparator could do the job.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.