Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is SMD (resistor /capacitor) size 0402 good choice for manual placement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a designed board on which all the parts are set manually,
In the downside, I would replace 0805 with 0402, But I do not know if this dimension is no longer too small for manual placement with tweezers.
What's your experience?

It's well possible with a steady hand. 0603 is more convenient, though.

0402 devices are NOT marked, while most 0603 and higher are. If you are really tight on room, then 0402s can be manually placed (with tweezers and a microscope) successfully. It's not fun - 0402s are basically "sand" - if you drop one, forget trying to find it, just get another from a marked supply. I don't use them unless absolutely necessary!

...I would replace 0805 with 0402, But I do not know if this dimension is no longer too small for manual placement with tweezers...

I am too old to do neat soldering but it could be done with a magnifying glass and a steady hand. My philosophy is that if you can see it, you can place it...

But if your board is already designed (I mean a finished product) - just go ahead and do it. For a fraction of a second, it will float on the molten solder and then settle on a steady position.

Thank you for your opinions.

>0402 devices are NOT marked
That's true, but marked is only resistor and resistor not problém measure,
Plus the resistors are so cheap that it is better to drop them than to measure.

Size 0603 I usually use, but the real space saving between 0603 and 0805 is not significant
Up to size 0402 allows for example this

0402.png

We are all in agreement that a 0402 and smaller a allow much tighter layout.

However, at least for me who I am 61 years old, it is very difficult to assemble by hand.
I can do it, but it is painful.

I also prefer 0603 or 0805

The 0402 footprint in post #5 is rather large, 0603 parts still fits it.

This is standard Altium footprint in L size for "simple" manual placement ;-)
The image is sometimes over 1000 words

SMT.png

I'll try and see it.
On Ebay is **broken link removed** with 8500pcs (170 value) 0402 resistor only for 11.6 pounds, this is very resonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.