Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SuperCap in Xilinx Zynq

Status
Not open for further replies.

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I need to gurantee the supply of the Xilinx Zynq for 0.5 sec before the chip is shutted down because whichever current supply problem.The reason is because I need to save some important data in memory. The question is if there is some way to keep the chip alive during a minimum time. I have been having a look and the Xilinx Zynq 7020 has a VBAT pin, but I think that it is not valid for my purpose...

Any idea??

Greetings,

EP

Hi,

what is your power source? --> try to generate an early_power_fail_signal.

Maybe: AC --> rectifier --> bulk capacitor --> stepDown --> FPGA
Try to detect AC_loss.
* generate in interrupt
* switch OFF all unnecessary load
Then the bulk capacitor needs to provide the mount of energy
The step down will keep the FPGA supply stable.

some calculation:
Lets say you have a 0.1F supercap connected to 3V3.
On power loss maybe you can work down to 2.8V before a reset is asserted.
The available energy is (0.5 * 3.3V * 3.3V * 0.1F) - (0.5 * 2.8V * 2.8V * 0.1F) = 0.1525Ws
This is only 28% of the initially available capacitor energy.
And the voltage is continously falling.

Let´s say you have a 12V supply and a stepdown that works down to 4V input voltage.
Then you can use 89% of the available capacitor energy ... and the FPGA voltage is constant.
0.152Ws / (80% SMPS_efficiency * 89% capacitor_usage) = 0.215Ws capacitor energy @12V
--> use a 3300uF capacitor at 12V

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back