Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DALI transmitter turns its own power supply rail into a DALI signalling bus...how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Our contractor has come up with a device that he says you connect a 16V rail to (16V & 0V), and then it turns that rail into a DALI signalling rail...It gets its own power from the 16V rail itself..
However, he says there is no datasheet for this device.
The device is a Lucy Zodion F6353-0001 “HALO”
By lucyzodion.com

I cannot find a datasheet for this device.
I am wondering how it manages to get powered when it actually takes the rail to zero volts as when sending a low bit of a DALI signal.
We can feed it a 16V rail via a 55mA current limiter so that it doesn’t take down the “feeding” 16V rail.
How does it get power during the times when it takes the 16V rail low?

Hi,

How does it get power during the times when it takes the 16V rail low?
just a guess:
It stores the energy during a HIGH time in a capacitor. This makes especially sense when DALI interface is idle HIGH.

Klaus

It gets its own power from the 16V rail itself..

That's what DALI, KNX etc do: use the same two wires for both DC supply and AC communication. Obviously, you need inductors to separate DC for supply and AC for "digital communication". For KNX, there is a series inductor in the power supply, and I suspect DALI needs that as well.

I don't exactly understand what's the role of the said device in the DALI topology.

Maximal current per DALI "consumer" is limited to 2 mA, in so far only low power electronics can be supplied by the DALI bus.

I don't exactly understand what's the role of the said device in the DALI topology.Maximal current per DALI "consumer" is limited to 2 mA, in so far only low power electronics can be supplied by the DALI bus.

Thanks, from speaking with the contractor, all I can gather is that it’s a “part night dimming” device. Its datasheet isn’t on the website. I believe that this device has a light sensor, and over time, it works out exactly how far through the night it is, and then it dims the streetlight down (using DALI signalling) as the dawn approaches, in order to save energy.
I believe that the device itself is powered from the 16V rail that it feeds from…….it then repeatedly takes down the 16V rail (in Manchester signalling of DALI) that is connected to it in order to send DALI signals.
We don’t want the “feeding” 16V rail to go low ever, so we will interpose a 55mA current limiter between the feeding 16V supply and the “HALO” device and all the DALI receivers.

- - - Updated - - -

I am just wondering if the "HALO" device has a current limiter inside it?....or, when it shorts the rail whilst sending low bits, does it literally short the rail with a transistor? and thus it needs a current limiter upstream of it? (or else the transistor would blow up)?

https://www.lucyzodion.com/products-overview/

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.