Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load between series capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kajunbee

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I apply ac voltage to two capacitors in series i will measure a current. Since the capacitors are alternately taking and returning power no power is consumed. Now if I place a load in between the two capacitors does my house meter still only see reactive power and not the power dissipated across the load. I'm sure it does but how does the meter know.

I put a 100 watt flood light bulb between two 50 uf capacitors and applied 110 vac. I measure 36 vac at each capacitor and 80 vac at the light.

I guess the question is how does the meter distinguish between the reactive and real power dissipated.

Just measung phase between votage and current passing through.
If you see the meter only with the capacitors, you will see no power adsorbed, otherwise if you will add the light, you will see the meter increase the value.
Unfortunately, in electronics there ane no tricks to use.

Mandi

Well that sucks. So your house meter work similar to a power analyzer I guess. Didn't realize they were that complex.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is the voltage at the load higher than capacitors. I measured 36 vac at each cap. which equals 72 vac but the load measures 82 vac.

Why is the voltage at the load higher than capacitors. I measured 36 vac at each cap. which equals 72 vac but the load measures 82 vac.
Guess your problem is that they don't add up to 110V. Read about RC circuits in electrical circuit text book, e.g. chapter 4.3 in this lecture **broken link removed**

Read the article you suggested. I tried my hands at doing and impedance measurement on a simple rc circuit. Does this look correct.
I'm using a 50 uf cap. In series with a 5.1 ohm precision resistor.

Xc= 2*3.141*60*0.00005= 1/0.01885= 53.05
Ztotal= 5.1 ohm + 53.05 =58.15

I would like to try it with the resistor between two caps. but I don't know the formula.

Hi,

Ztotal= 5.1 ohm + 53.05 =58.15
Wrong.
R and Xc are in 90° angle, therefore you need to take the square root from both squared values.

Klaus

Hi,

Looks good. (Without calculating).

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back