Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TCP/IP based secure protocol for Home Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhildascl

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing a project in Home automation. Basically, controlling the lights, fan etc using a mobile application. The system is having Wi-Fi based switches and are connected to a common WiFi modem/access point. The mobile phone also connected to the same network.

Months back, I got one similar setup and I hacked into the network easily. Then I was able to control any lights/fans without using the mobile app.

My question is, do we have any standard secure protocol for sending the data inside this network for Home automation?

You mean encrypting the WiFi? Then what if I can get into the network through some medium? I have connected to the WiFi modem through LAN, then monitored packets using Wireshark. I got the packet and started sending it using my laptop. It worked.

A cryptographic-based standard solution may be too heavy depending on which microcontroller you are using. In other side, a solution based on a cypher with an unchanged key can be easily broken. Recently I have made an IoT-based project on which the solution that seemed more safe it was by encoding data with a key that was oftentimes changing depending on the hour of the day (a kind of token), that is, throughout the day the URL of the same command was different. However, this was only possible because the uC received the date/time of an inexpensive GPS module, which was the most convenient way for that particular case.

hi, please I am doing something similar to your project and I need some references. Can you help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.