Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect an IO device to a 8086 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

khorram

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

Please let me know how i can connect an IO device to a 8086 CPU without PIC 8259. Is it possible? If so, how interrupt vector number should be determined for the CPU?

regards,
khorram

Sure it is possible to connect an I/O device to the 8086 CPU without PIC. U need buffers (like 74245) and latches (like 74373). U dont essentially need to use the interrupt vector table unless u have a HUGE task to perform. Simple IN and OUT instructions can be used to move data from I/O devices

Hi,

You can also use a dedicated chip, the 8255 PPI :

h**p://support.intel.com/design/archives/periphrl/docs/7190.htm

h**p://support.intel.com/design/archives/periphrl/docs/7012.htm

Datasheet :

h**p://support.intel.com/design/archives/periphrl/docs/23125604.htm

Repkace * by t

you can connect an IO device to the 8086 CPU by using both the 8255 and 74244 ICs.
the 8255 is a three port I/O controller designed for 8086 systems, it is connected to the databus and control bus of the 8086, it contains three controlable ports(A,B,C) that can be programmed -each- either as an input or output.
the 74244 is buffer line IC that is used to catch readings and latch it till it is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back