Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear regulator does not need local input/output capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about doing some engineering?

If it's unconditionally stable, then you don't need capacitors FOR STABILITY. What does your input look like? Is it really noisy? What kind of noise can your load accept? What does your load look like? Is it highly reactive? What does you supply look like? What kind of transients can it handle? What kind of transients does your load have? Is your load a low-level analog circuit? Is it a high-speed digital circuit?

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The part may not "need" those capacitors given a
clean input and a constant load current. Doubtful
that this holds for noisier / ripple-y inputs or steppy
loads.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Texas Instruments for one, have released a new family(it might be a single IC or more, can't recall) that are using the "no capacitor needed" feature to promote them self s, however if you read the actual datasheet they are very clear with the fact that it might work very well without decoupling caps but they are most often still recommended.

Even if I where facing some unusual situation with very stable circuits without much noise I would never count upon the fact that the regulator may work without the capacitors, I don't think anyone here can say without actually testing a prototype whether that would work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back