Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help Regarding Vector Network Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdyado

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am thinking to purchase rohde & schwarz ZVH4 vector network anlayzer for cable measurement.

i want to measure this parameters of cable:- attenuation,characteristic impedance,impedance,capacitance of cable,cross talk,mutual capacitance between conductor,propagation delay.

so is it possible to measure all this parameter using vector network analyzer?

thanks in advance.

it only makes "One-port cable loss measurements', so not too sure if you can excite cable 1, and see how much leaks onto cable 2. You might need a 2 port network analyzer to see that. But "the price is right".

Whatever you do buy, for a cable measurement application, I would make sure there is a time domain function that can identify "distance to fault". Say you have a kink in a cable 80 meters away, that can cause a big reflection...with a time domain function it will clearly tell you "there is a big mismatch 80 meters down the cable". With frequency domain analyzers, the will only tell you "there is a big mismatch somewhere down that cable". not as useful if you need to fix that cable.

Can not see that it is written anywhere that ZVH4 is a VNA. Guess it is more like a SNA and as such is measurement of reactance relative resistance not possible. This do also exclude measurement of capacitive values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back