Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI with PIC16F887 and Proteus

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunofunchas

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I'm trying to communicate with five SN74HC165 IC, by SPI, but the chips to not respond to the PIC18F887!

I have seen the SPI debugger and the microcontroller reads zeros from them. On the oscilloscope I can seen that it first puts low on the SH/LD pin to read the inputs then set it high, then it selects each slave one by one and sends the clock pulses but I can not see any answer.

I'm sampling to fast? Fosc = 8Mhz divided by 4.

Any ideas where the problem is?

Thanks.

Attachments

• TEST.rar
    73.9 KB · Views: 87

Hello!

Thanks for the input! In fact Following your advise I have disconnected all of the outputs and only left the firt IC connected and it work fine. My problem is in fact that I have to daisy chain the five IC's from each output to SER pin of the next IC.

So that:

1: Snapshot of the inputs in all five IC's (IC03 up to IC7): Low on PIN SH/LD
2: Q (PIN09) U3 send the data to SER pin of U4 (PIN 10)

I'm working in daisy chain all the data but I can see the all the bytes but the microcontroller does not see them on the first byte, sometimes is the second, third, and so on...

Attached I have put the new files

Attachments

• TEST_rev0.rar
    46.2 KB · Views: 93

If it were me, I would clear RB1 to a zero at the start of the program and leave it that way. I see no sensible reason to keep disabling the clock, and I wonder whether this might actually be causing spurious clocks.

Hard to be sure without real hardware to test with.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I think harder about it, then all clocks need to be enabled at all times, else how will the data circulate around all shift registers?

Leave all CLK_Inhibit lines low at all times. Ideally tie them low with hardware and use RB1 for some other purpose.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.