Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usage of gzip or unzip commands to extract "multiple split archives" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcu

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have a multiple split archives with the extensions *.zip_aa , *.zip_ab, *.zip_ac, *.zip_ad and *.zip_ae ( and no .zip separate file ). In gui file browser , Except the first part all other parts looks as a unknown file type (i.e no program associated with it).

can someone tell me , how to use gzip and unzip command lines to extract the archive. ? I tried unzip command , but it says i have to work with gzip first to make all parts into a single file . I am new to this.

i have a gui applications but they are not working for this type of compressed files. i cant install new apps .

It's probably just split to reduce the entire file size of the zip (perhaps to get around a file size limit in transferring?).

From the times I've seen files like that they were truly just split on some byte boundary, so on Windows/DOS command line you would just do:

copy /b <fn>.zip_aa+<fn>.zip_ab+<fn>.zip_ac+<fn>.zip_ad+<fn>.zip_ae <fn>.zip

That will copy all the separate files into one single file (appending each file) with no added characters. The /b says the files are binary, which should keep the copy from getting mangled when non-standard characters are found e.g. 0x00 etc.

I'm sure there is an equivalent way to do this on Linux/Unix. I think you use cat with some options for binary files.

I have a multiple split archives with the extensions *.zip_aa , *.zip_ab, *.zip_ac, *.zip_ad and *.zip_ae ( and no .zip separate file )... .

Your question is not clear. I guess you have files like a1.zip_aa, a1.zip_ab, a1.zip_ac etc etc.

If the number is small you can do that manually: cat a1.zip_aa a1.zip_ab a1.zip_ac ... >a1.zip

Next unzip a1.zip (see man pages for details).

Your question is not clear. I guess you have files like a1.zip_aa, a1.zip_ab, a1.zip_ac etc etc.

If the number is small you can do that manually: cat a1.zip_aa a1.zip_ab a1.zip_ac ... >a1.zip

Next unzip a1.zip (see man pages for details).

You are correct , a1 is the common file name for all those 5 parts. But it ended up with
"cat: write error: No space left on device". but i have lot of free space.

But dumped out a "a1.zip" file with the expected overall file size. when i try to unzip this . gui displays
"(please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)"

Last edited:

The file (a1.zip) was not closed properly because of the error (no space left on device). You delete some temporary files and repeat the steps and I hope it will work.

If the error still persists, copy the files (a1.zip_a?) into the /tmp directory and then do cd /tmp and try to use the same commands from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.