+ Post New Thread
    Member level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

usage of gzip or unzip commands to extract "multiple split archives" ?

Hello all,

I have a multiple split archives with the extensions *.zip_aa , *.zip_ab, *.zip_ac, *.zip_ad and *.zip_ae ( and no .zip separate file ). In gui file browser , Except the first part all other parts looks as a unknown file type (i.e no program associated with it).

can someone tell me , how to use gzip and unzip command lines to extract the archive. ? I tried unzip command , but it says i have to work with gzip first to make all parts into a single file . I am new to this.

i have a gui applications but they are not working for this type of compressed files. i cant install new apps .

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1702 / 1702
    Level

Re: usage of gzip or unzip commands to extract "multiple split archives" ?

It's probably just split to reduce the entire file size of the zip (perhaps to get around a file size limit in transferring?).

From the times I've seen files like that they were truly just split on some byte boundary, so on Windows/DOS command line you would just do:

copy /b <fn>.zip_aa+<fn>.zip_ab+<fn>.zip_ac+<fn>.zip_ad+<f n>.zip_ae <fn>.zip

That will copy all the separate files into one single file (appending each file) with no added characters. The /b says the files are binary, which should keep the copy from getting mangled when non-standard characters are found e.g. 0x00 etc.

I'm sure there is an equivalent way to do this on Linux/Unix. I think you use cat with some options for binary files.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    741 / 741
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by hcu View Post
    I have a multiple split archives with the extensions *.zip_aa , *.zip_ab, *.zip_ac, *.zip_ad and *.zip_ae ( and no .zip separate file )... .
    Your question is not clear. I guess you have files like a1.zip_aa, a1.zip_ab, a1.zip_ac etc etc.

If the number is small you can do that manually: cat a1.zip_aa a1.zip_ab a1.zip_ac ... >a1.zip

Next unzip a1.zip (see man pages for details).

•   AltAdvertisement

Member level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by c_mitra View Post
    Your question is not clear. I guess you have files like a1.zip_aa, a1.zip_ab, a1.zip_ac etc etc.

If the number is small you can do that manually: cat a1.zip_aa a1.zip_ab a1.zip_ac ... >a1.zip

Next unzip a1.zip (see man pages for details).
    You are correct , a1 is the common file name for all those 5 parts. But it ended up with
    "cat: write error: No space left on device". but i have lot of free space.

But dumped out a "a1.zip" file with the expected overall file size. when i try to unzip this . gui displays
    "(please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
    appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)"
    Last edited by hcu; 10th July 2017 at 06:54.

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    741 / 741
    Level

The file (a1.zip) was not closed properly because of the error (no space left on device). You delete some temporary files and repeat the steps and I hope it will work.

If the error still persists, copy the files (a1.zip_a?) into the /tmp directory and then do cd /tmp and try to use the same commands from there.

--[[ ]]--