Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attempting to use multiplying DACs to construct a Programmable Gain Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I will for sure have a few questions about this subject, I hadn't planned to start this thread yet but I have a fundamental question that I need help with.

How on earth do I look for multiplying DACs?

I started by going to AD's website and navigated to D/A Converters but while viewing the parametric search table there are no option that I can use to determine if a DAC is a multiplying DAC or not, and similarly I haven't been able to find a searchable way for finding all the multiplying DACs at other sites ether.

This isn't the first time I have been searching for such DACs but I really need to solve it this time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

I did note a parameter called "multiplying bandwidth" but when I looked at the info page and datasheet of one of those DACs that had a multiplying bandwidth I couldn't find any specific reference saying that it was a multiplying DAC or not. So I cannot assume multiplying bandwidth has to do with multiplying DACs since I really don't know what it is.

Although it does appear to be a parameter only related to multiplying DACs...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I think it is quite safe to associate that term multiplying bandwidth with multiplying DACs but I would really like if anyone could confirm this.

Hi,

* Goto www.analog.com
* Parametric search -> DAConverters-> All DA converters (Parametric search)
* Choose parameters
* check "Multiplying BW (typ) --> OK
Now you have a new column "Multiplying BW".
Choose "10" Hz for minimum BW and press into tge results area to update it
--> get 192 results of multiplying DACs

You may also choose "digital potentiometers" as programmable gain amplifiers.
You may also choose "Digital control VGAs"
You may also look for "audio volume control"

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.