Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Substance like blu-tak for use to stick electronic components to PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
We modified our PCB to have two X2 capacitors manually wired to it, since we cant afford to get it re-layed out. At the moment, the capacitors are stuck to the PCB with blu-tak, so they don’t move about, but when we ship to the customer, we want to change the blu-tak for something more professional……..and something more sticky.

However, we don’t want it too sticky as otherwise our assemblers wont be able to pull them back off the PCB if they initially mis-fit them.

Do you know of such a blu-tak equivalent substance?...some kind of sticky silicone?

I have always enjoyed the liquid insulating tape for many purposes, which besides having excellent strength and mechanical flexibility after curing, has good electrical insulation performance as well.

Thanks, i think we will use a combination of blu-tak and liquid electrical tape, as the liquid electrical tape takes some mins to cure, whereas blue tak gives a degree of stickiness and permanence straight away....but the blu-tak would not be strong enough on its own.

I am sure blu-tak melting point is abolve 120degC, do you agree?

liquid electrical tape
https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/liquid-electrical-tape/

problem is liquid electrical tape is not on farnell....unless it has some other name?

At least in the last place I lived until a short time ago, this product was sold not only in electronics stores but also in hardware stores at electricity section as it was widely used by field technicians for safer repair of outdoor electrical wiring that could be exposed to the rain. The local name was something like "liquid insulating tape"; I believe in UK, based on seller specified breakdown voltage it is similar to that :

In the old days, we just used chewing gum. :p

In the old days, we just used chewing gum

It is still immensely popular. Once I opened one power supply and service engineer has fixed some parts with his visiting card and cellophane tape.

Seriously speaking, electronic parts undergo thermal cycling repeatedly. A rubber like glue (electronic version of chewing gum) that really does not become hard but sticks well (say something like silicone glue) would be idea. Some silicone glues release acetic acid and these must be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back