Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gain of amplifier with current source load

Status
Not open for further replies.

samster19

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I had a slight confusion about how a current source load influences the intrinsic gain of a MOS after seeing the images below.
In the first image, the gain is intuitive. The current source load exhibits an infinite output impedance so that the effective Zout is equal to r0. Here, using KCL I assume that the current flowing through r0 is I0-gmVgs, but the total current through Rs is I0, which means there is no small signal increment.
In the second image, for a common gate amplifier, he says that the total current through the device M1 is from the ideal source I1, so that the source potential cannot change the current through the device. This would mean that there is no small signal current increment. Would this mean the gain is zero?

IMG_20170516_133643617_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170516_133719251_HDR.jpg

In the second image, for a common gate amplifier, he says that the total current through the device M1 is from the ideal source I1, so that the source potential cannot change the current through the device. This would mean that there is no small signal current increment. Would this mean the gain is zero?

Hi,
In the common-gate structure, the source voltage is determined by a voltage source, Vx. So, the transistor's gm will produce a current equal to gm * (0 - Vx). This current varies with Vx. However, the total current passing through the drain is constant because of the current source in the drain. So, when you change Vx, the current through the ro must change. In other words, gm * (0 - Vx) circulates into the ro and Vout(drain) = ( gm*Vx ) * ro + Vx.

Status
Not open for further replies.