Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this door state sensor and how it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

sairfan1

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to develop small home security application, I came across some cheap solutions for door state detection at aliexpress and ebay but they need wire with that and there are some zwave sensor bit expensive I don't know how can i use it. Please refer to attached Image of sensor installed on door i wan to know what kind of this sensor and are these available to use in project, if yes what kind of hardware is required to communicate with it.
Thanks

Attachments

• door_sensor.jpg
    door_sensor.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 118

My guess is it's some kind of RF sensor. Look at this: **broken link removed**

If you just want to detect if a door is closed or open, in my opinion using a magnetic reed switch as the sensor would be a very cheap solution. Yes you have to work with wires. Wireless is always expensive.

thanks for reply, @dpaul I'm looking for wireless solution, @barry I'm further looking on datasheets of sensors though it does not look like it has enough information in it.

@barry I'm further looking on datasheets of sensors though it does not look like it has enough information in it.
It's not clear what you're looking for. Are you just looking for the sensor to interface to your own system? Those commercial sensors probably use a proprietary protocol, so it would take a bit of work to adapt it.

I want to integrate with PIC MCU that means I will have to add some module to communicate with that

So you can use one of those Honeywell (or somebody else's) sensor and try and figure out their protocol, frequency, etc. and design your own receiver (sounds difficult). Or Microchip makes rf transceiver modules that you could use. Basically, you could get a magnetic reed switch and interface it to a transmitter module, and then hook your PIC up to the receiver module. (sounds easier).

Look at this, for example: it's about USD$2.00 (unless Trump decides not to sell ANYTHING to Canada). https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/en010386

Last edited:

You are right it will take too much effort to understand some sensor available in market, i also thought about using reed switch and rf based module, but difficulty on this side is that, i have to develop low power consumption design and I'm not that good in electronics. can you please advise, what aspects should i consider to develop low power consumption circuit where i don't need to change battery every 8/12 months. thanks

It seems to me you're asking somebody else to do this design for you. But here's a hint: if you look at the data sheet I referenced, for example, you'll see that the device can be put into "sleep" mode that would be a very low power state.

can you please advise, what aspects should i consider to develop low power consumption circuit where i don't need to change battery every 8/12 months

I'm sorry if it sounds like asking somebody to develop for me, must be because of my poor English, what do you think is better option to put device on sleep or switch on device by reed switch trigger? what other things should be considered, I just need a guide line, if i start working on this direction what should i keep in mind. thanks again.

I would use the sleep mode for the following reason: Let's say this switch is on a window. Sometimes that window will be intentionally open; you don't want to power the microprocessor all the time the window is open. So you wake it from sleep when the window first opens and then it goes back to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.