Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCL filter configuration for grid tie inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrophysics

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I'm designing a low power grid tie inverter. I'm little confused about the LCL filter configuration at output of Full-bridge to filter SPWM. It's a two stage inverter with first stage a flyback. The application note for LCL filter I'm using is at
**broken link removed**
I'm using the configuration of LCL shown in Microchip app note AN1338 on it's page 8 & figure 13 otherwise design is different. I could not find information describing this LCL design. The other configuration of LCL filter is available on many app notes. I have also made schematics of each as attached herewith.
As I'm interested in LCL filter given in AN1338 so want to know it's pros and cons and availability of app notes describing it's working and design.

Attachments

• LCL filter as shown in Microchip app note AN1338 page 8 figure 13.gif
    LCL filter as shown in Microchip app note AN1338 page 8 figure 13.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 79
  • LCL filter generally given in app notes.gif
    LCL filter generally given in app notes.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 156

I wondered why no one tried to reply. Is there any kind of discrimination going on? I'm not looking for spoon feeding here!

It's a complex problem.
The application note for LCL filter I'm using is
AN1338 is surely not an application note about LCL filters. It's a software application note, at best mentioning filters by the way. The only essential point in this regard is the discussion of link inductor operation on page 16. You also should have noticed that the application note is referring to a different inverter topology than the PWM bridge you have shown in your post.

You're not particularly asking for spoon feeding, but it's obvious that you didn't yet read a profound paper, application note or text book about PWM filters, otherwise you won't bring AN1338 in a first place.

There are tons of papers about grid-tied inverters on the net. E.g. about 20 state-of-the-art designs as outcome of the "Little Box Challenge" which took place in 2015/2016.

As a general rule you should not make L value too large, or else it starts to impede current.

Be aware of power factor errors introduced by either L or C components. Your LCL values may need to be custom selected to suit a a certain combination of frequency and Amperes.

Status
Not open for further replies.