Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] Explaination of Loop Filter for PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

niteshtripathi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone,

I need help regarding loop filter in this PLL. Can anyone explain the importance of r1, c1, r2 and c2 in detail. Thanks.

Screenshot.png

Hi niteshtripathi,

If you apply an input current to the loop filter (current because the output of charge pump is current) and assume the voltage on the C2 as the output of the filter, then the filter will have a pole at the origin, a zero at z1=1/(r1 * c1) and another pole at p2 = 1/( (r1 + r2) * (c1 in parallel with c2)). I think based on the values you choose z1 must be smaller than p2. In this case, z1 can improve the phase margin of the closed-loop system and improve the stability. In addition to these poles and zeros, we will have another pole at origin from the VCO. To have a stable system while having two poles at origin (for the open loop system), it is necessary to add a zero to the system to prevent the open loop transfer function from having a phase shift of 180 degrees at the unity gain (this is achieved by adding r1, r2, and c1 in the above circuit).

Intuitively, the current source of the charge pump and a capacitor is an integrator (a pole at origin), but, by adding the resistors we destroy this integrator as the frequency rises and the impedance of the capacitor becomes comparable with that of the resistors.

This is what I can remember from years ago, but please verify them you yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.