Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About Neon and LED lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenc

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is something related to illuminated channel letter signs. I was searching to know about the illuminations of channel letter signs. I got to know that Neon or LED lightings are used for this purpose. I found some images related to this from the site of a company who provide Channel letter signs in Toronto. From that, I guess Neon lighting is more attractive. What do you think?
Can somebody tell me what are the main differences between LED and Neon channel letter lighting? I have heard that some Neon signs have the problem of toxic gas leaking. Do you have any idea about this?

This is something related to illuminated channel letter signs. I was searching to know about the illuminations of channel letter signs. I got to know that Neon or LED lightings are used for this purpose. I found some images related to this from the site of a company who provide Channel letter signs in Toronto. From that, I guess Neon lighting is more attractive. What do you think?
Can somebody tell me what are the main differences between LED and Neon channel letter lighting? I have heard that some Neon signs have the problem of toxic gas leaking. Do you have any idea about this?

I don't think neon or helium is toxic. They are generally (unless broken) under a vacuum. so any leaks would be sucking in air.

I have gone through a document long back which states "Neon channels eventually lose all of the neon inside the glass tubes. So, that means you have to replace the gas by taking it to professional neon channels manufacturer or need to buy new one. Of course it takes around 10 years to happen but it is sure that it will happen. They are also not easier to clean because there are tubes to clean off as the tubes get hot."

So Maintenance of LED is very easy as there are no gases, no glass tubes and it won't run out. It is small, very bright. LED signs are also high durable and last up approximately to 100,000 hrs, even if left to work for 24X7.

Agreed, glass is slightly permeable to Neon gas so there is a gradual contamination/diffusion from the atmosphere outside the tube.

Glass tubes are easier to shape while keeping uniform light output but could be considerably more expensive than LED 'rope', especialy over prolonged usage but most Neon tube signs are good for 10 years or more. The gas is non-toxic, in fact it is classed as 'inert', meaning it is very difficult for it to chemically react with other substances.
Also note that Neon tubes work from high voltages, sometimes more than 1KV so there could be an electrical safety issue in some circumstances.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back