Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4500 Watts BUCK converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis29

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 350V to 400V DC input and i need 300V constant output having 15A current ratting.
so wattage will be 4500 Watts. So for this wattage a synchronous buck is the right solution??
What are the possible alternatives??

Synchronous BUCK converters are good in terms of switching loss and overall efficiency but components cost should hoot up 50% to 80% more.
Single mosfet asynchronous BUCK converters are general and established technology from past decades efficacy may be less but cost will be attractive
Synchronous BUCK converters are risky because during the testing the two mosfet are turn on the same time it will lead to destruction of circuit. It is very difficult to get control circuit also (NCP1034 can be used )

The advantage of synchronous switching vanishes with increasing voltage. For 300V, I would suggest transistor-diode configuration for ease of design.

For that power level, consider using a multi-phase buck converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.